Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Reflections on Three Year Professional Development Plan

As I reflected upon the SISE, the meeting with my site supervisor, my pre- and post -self-assessments, and my own reflections from the program, I found that although I feel proficient in most areas, the areas in which I need the most improvement were in instructional leadership, encouraging my staff to take risks and use more modern teaching and technology, finance, interviewing and making decisions concerning new hires, and safety and maintenance of the physical plant. These areas in which I choose to do further study are of great interest to me and are necessary to become the best superintendent that I can be. I chose some books, websites and workshops to help me attain my goals. I chose people that I admire, most of whom I have worked with previously that I consider experts in the areas mentioned in my plan. I really like the idea of planning out what areas to focus on in the near future. There are so many professional development opportunities offered to administrators that one could easily be away from campus to attend training of some type each week. Obviously that is an extreme scenario, but having specific goals will help me choose how to best spend my time. Writing goals and detailed plans with evaluation tools will help me remain accountable to myself as I fulfill the tasks. Even as I am now completing a rigorous certification program, I am looking forward to continue learning more about becoming a better leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment