Sunday, January 29, 2012

Competency and Job Entry Plan Reflection 5399

COMPETENCY REVIEW

While focusing on the ten superintendent competencies, I found myself realizing the magnitude of the position as well as understanding how the competencies are intertwined. A leader in any capacity has to maintain authority and confidence. The leadership skills that I see in the scope of all the competencies are the foundation to that poise and authority. In my present position as a building principal, I use many of these skills but not to the degree in which a superintendent, the leader of the district uses them. Examining my growth in the competencies made me recognize that interwoven skills make the job seem not nearly as ominous. I am grateful for what I have learned through the internship activities, the assignments and my job experiences this year. I believe that should I pursue a superintendent position, that I will be better prepared because of the experiences and the reflections upon those experiences.

JOB ENTRY PLAN REFLECTION

I believe the exercise in writing a job entry plan will prove very valuable if I move into any other position in education. I spoke with my site supervisor and he affirmed the worth of a plan like this. My plan included doing a lot of listening and building relationships. Planning for daily, weekly, monthly and yearly goals forced me to really examine my personal vision and goals. I thought about the need for researching the new district to find out as much as I can prior to going into the position. (Hopefully this will have occurred before applying for the job.) Fitting in with the school district where they are at the current time is as important as realizing a vision for where I later want them to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment