Sunday, January 29, 2012

5399 Week 2 - Job Entry Plan

The job entry plan will certainly vary depending upon the new job taken and the size of the district. However, there will be commonalities among the goals, objectives and activities that take place in order to make a smooth transition. The main goal for the first day would be to provide a calm assurance to the employees of the district that I know where they have been and where they are at the present time. This objective which will continue on throughout the first month or so is to convince them that I realize I am coming on to their turf and that I won’t make any irrational sudden changes that will conflict with their current culture. The activities will be simply listening and observing as well as introducing myself either formally in a large group situation or in smaller groups depending upon the time of year and the size of the district. I will have previously studied any data that I could collect on the school to make sure I had as much information possible.
During the first week, I certainly would want to continue to listen and observe as much as possible. The objective for this week would include becoming familiar with the heads of the departments, meeting with them, and attaining information concerning their areas of expertise. I would also like to make contact with the board of trustees either in an informal meeting or by email. During this time I would hopefully achieve the goal of determining the strengths and weaknesses of the school system so that we could make the school the best it could become. Activities would include meetings with all department heads and directors. Resources I would see during this time period would be board of trustee meeting reports, financial reports, information from human resources on immediate hiring needs, and any pertinent information from curriculum and other directors.
The objective of the first month in a new position would be to establish positive two-way communication among the employees, key community members and parents. The goal would be to develop a rapport with all stake-holders and communicate the message that I am in the position of a service and have the best interest of the children in mind. In order to accomplish this, I would hold an informal gathering such as “Coffee and doughnuts with the new Superintendent”. At this time, I would mingle with stakeholders that were in attendance, sharing ideas or simply getting to know each other. Other activities might include meetings with the building principals and/or with site based committees.
During the first year of my tenure in a new position, I would attempt to make decisions about what direction I feel the district is going and if there are any changes that I feel need to be made to redirect that path. My goal would be to assess and later affect the culture of the school district so that it is using its resources efficiently and effectively, ultimately making the schools of the district meet the needs of the children of the district. This year would include a lot of listening as stated before. It would also include many meetings with personnel and members of the community. Many resources will be utilized at this stage including prior AEIS reports, financial reports, and ongoing reporting from department directors. During this first year, any changes I feel that need immediate attention would be made after meeting with the head of the affected department, the site based committee or the board of trustees. Upon entering a new school, it is my belief that one affects change by allowing the constituents to maintain ownership of their district. This may mean reminding myself that I am the outsider until I am no longer considered an outsider

No comments:

Post a Comment